Last updated March 24, 2021
Thank you for choosing to be part of our community at AEC Systems Ltd, doing business as Speckle ("Speckle", "we", "us", "our"). The word "Speckle" and "Speckle Systems" are trademarks (“trademarks”) owned by AEC Systems Ltd. We would like to extend fair usage of our trademarks as widely as possible, so we have created the following guidelines to help people understand what is (and isn't) ok.
PERMISSION FOR USE
Written permission from us is required to use our trademarks as any part of your project or associated assets. Please contact us if you would like to enquire about permission for use.
The purpose of a trademark is not to prevent anyone else in the world from using it, it is to prevent confusion amongst consumers as to which brand is the "official" one. Our primary criteria for the approval or denial of trademark usage requests is whether or not people might confuse it for an official Speckle project.
In some special cases, we will grant automatic permission for a project to use the Speckle trademarks. Explicit permission to use the trademark is not required when a project meets the following criteria:
- You exclusively use the trademarks to either extend or improve the Speckle software, or to encourage the use of the Speckle software (in short — "foster the Speckle software" ).
- Ok: An open access, free monthly newsletter called "Speckle Weekly"
- Not Ok: A Speckle fork called "A Non-Sucky Version of Speckle"
- Not Ok: Selling t-shirts with the Speckle logo and trademarks to raise money for another cause
- The Speckle trademarks are used in a domain name, title of website, seminar, software package, book, magazine or video that is exclusively intended to foster the Speckle software and does not suggest an "official link".
- Automatic Approval: A non-commercial website called howtoinstallspeckle.com
- Automatic Approval: A keynote called Getting Started with Speckle
- Requires Permission: A book titled The Official Speckle Guide
- Requires Permission: A commercial website called specklehosting.com
- The Speckle trademarks are used for the title of a camp or meet-up, but not in combination with the words: conference, conf, convention.
- Ok: Speckle Annual Meetup 2013
- Not Ok: SpeckleConf London
- You want to use the Speckle trademarks to describe your product or services without implying any kind of official link to us or the Speckle open source project.
- Ok: referring to your services as specialising in Speckle development
- Not Ok: referring to yourself as The Speckle Consultant
In some specific cases, you will always require explicit permission from us in order to use the Speckle trademarks. Even if you meet the criteria for automatic approval, you must always seek permission for trademark use if your project meets any of the following criteria:
- The use of the Speckle trademarks suggests an "official link" between your product or service and us. For example:
- A domain called officialspecklefaq.org
- A corporation named Speckle Systems Development Ltd
- A brand of Speckle Support Agency
- A fork of Speckle called Speckle Random-AEC-Company-Name
- The Speckle trademarks are used as part of a "speckle.tld" domain name. For example:
- The Speckle trademarks are used as part of a domain name that covers an entire category of products or services that are relevant to the Speckle community. For example:
- The Speckle trademarks are used as part of the name of a company, organisation, trade name or association. For example:
- Speckle Users Germany
- Speckle Inc
- Speckle Systems Association
- You would like to use the Speckle trademarks as a part of an advertising campaign. For example:
- Google Adwords/Adsense
- Facebook promoted posts
- A television advertisement
If you're not sure whether your use qualifies for automatic approval or not, please ask!
APPLYING FOR PERMISSION
If you would like to apply for permission to use the Speckle trademarks based on the guidelines above, please email us directly on firstname.lastname@example.org including your full details and the details of your requested use.
Your application's approval will be considered based primarily on whether the product or service in question...
- suggest an official link or could lead to confusion about being an official project
- promotes Speckle usage around the world
- is released under an open source license compatible with Speckle's license
- is created by significant contributors to the Speckle open source project
- has a positive impact on the overall Speckle community
RULES OF USAGE
With the exception of the "nominative fair use" of the Speckle trademarks, your use of the trademark is subject to the following rules (irrespective of whether you received automatic or explicit permission for use):
- Any use of the Speckle trademarks indicates acceptance of this policy.
- The Speckle trademarks cannot be used for illegal, defamatory or humiliating purposes, or any other purpose that may negatively impact the Speckle software or us.
- Wherever possible, the Speckle trademarks should be accompanied by the following text (or an appropriate translation): “Speckle” and “Speckle Systems” are trademarks of AEC Systems Ltd.
These trademark rules and guidelines are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to check this agreement periodically for changes.