Setting up a server can be a tedious task - we know this from first hand experience. That's why Cristi has created a Digital Ocean One Click image that will help you deploy a live Speckle Server in minutes!
This is an ideal way to get started with your very own server. The setup process is greatly simplified and will guide you through a few basic steps. All you need is an (optional, but recommended) domain name that you can point towards your server.
Please note, this setup is not recommended for use in production for a few reasons, namely:
- no support: we are offering limited community support for free - but there's no guarantee we can provide timely answers.
- application level updates: we tend to move quite fast, and if things get busy, blink twice and you’re on an outdated server. This has security implications too.
- no guaranteed uptime: from our experience, vm’s tend to restart now and then (they need updates and reboots too), which results in downtime.
- database backups - again this is up to you mostly on what’s your risk appetite when it comes to dealing with live data. We’re a bit more on the paranoid side, so we’ve set up replication, failover nodes and PITR.
- automatic scalability: the setup can eat up all a vm’s resources under heavy load potentially causing general system wide instability.
If you're looking for a managed Speckle Server, get in touch with us and ask us about our Speckle Enterprise Beta offering. Hint: we're taking care of all that for you!
Feeback or comments? We'd love to hear from you in our community forum!